//= Meta::tag('fb:pages', '792628237518727'); ?>
Prosecutor General's Office (PGO) has stated it is delaying raising charges against Ahmed Fathih, who is a suspect in the May 6 terrorist attack, pending further investigations.
Prosecutor General (PG) Hussain Shameem said the PGO has decided to delay raising charges against him based on the current evidence although he was one of the suspects the Maldives Police Service (MPS) submitted for prosecution. Shameem said he is unable to go into detail since the investigation is still ongoing but added there is still more information to be gained from Fathih and that PGO is yet to finalise the charges against him.
The 23-year-old Fathih is one of 10 suspects arrested in the May 6 terrorist attack that severely injured Speaker of Parliament Mohamed Nasheed. Fathih, who had previously worked at MPS, was arrested in Dharavandhoo, Baa Atoll on July 19.
PGO has raised charges against four suspects in the attack totaling 13 counts, which includes planning and attempting a terrorist act and the use of explosives. The cases against Adhuham Ahmed Rasheed, Thahumeem Ahmed, Ali Haisham, and Mujaaz Ahmed have been submitted to the Criminal Court of the Maldives.
The PG said the evidence and information gathered from the suspects show the attack is a major criminal case and has nothing to do with religion.